Buffalo State

Graduate Catalog 2016-2017

International Applicants

International student degree requirements:

For admission to graduate study, international students must hold a baccalaureate degree from an institution that is accredited by an approved U.S. regional accrediting agency or a degree that is equivalent to a four-year bachelor's degree in the United States. International students must meet all admission requirements of the college. See http://graduateschool.buffalostate.edu/requirements for more information.


All international applications requiring student visas must be completed by July 1 for fall admission; December 1 for spring admission; and April 1 for summer admission for all graduate programs (except Canadian applicants). Students should also be aware of the individual department application deadline when considering enrollment. In some cases, departments want applications submitted prior to the Graduate School deadlines cited above. If there are questions, contact the Graduate School for further information on deadlines.

A completed international application packet includes:

1. A completed Online Graduate Admission Application.

2. A $65 nonrefundable application fee. Acceptable methods of payment: Visa, or MasterCard.

3. Official or certified true copies of transcripts along with a certified English translation of all transcripts from postsecondary schools outside the United States.

4. A degree evaluation. Applicants must submit official copies of postsecondary diploma(s)/transcripts to one of the following organizations for a course-by-course evaluation to determine equivalency to a United States bachelor's degree by using one of the following organizations:

Josef Silny and Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants, 7101 SW 102 Avenue, Miami, FL 33173, Phone: (305) 273-1616, Fax: (305) 273-1338

World Education Services Inc., P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10113-0745, Phone: (800) 937-3895, Fax: (212) 739-6100

Students should contact the organization or visit its Web site for the most current requirements and to request or download an application. Completed applications listing the SUNY Buffalo State Graduate School as the recipient should be returned to the organization with the required fees and credentials. The organization will forward its evaluation report to Buffalo State. This evaluation can take up to four weeks to complete after all documents are received. Check with the organizations for specific fee structure(s).

Canadian Applicants: Students holding undergraduate degrees from a Canadian college or university should submit official transcripts to the Graduate School. If transcripts follow a system similar to that of the United States, they will be evaluated locally. If not, Canadian applicants will be required to comply with the above international student credential policy.

5. Applicants for whom English is a second language must submit a score of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as documentation of English language proficiency. Applicants with a minimum TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the paper exam or 79 on the Internet exam, or with an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher will be considered for admission. Information on the TOEFL can be found at www.toefl.org. Information on the IELTS can be found at www.ielts.org.

English as a Second Language Program

International students who do not meet the required English language requirement can be admitted to the Buffalo State's Intensive English Language Institute (IELI). Buffalo State’s English as a Second Language Program (ESLP). Intensive English Language Institute students must complete required coursework in the English as a Second Language (ESL) program and take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as documentation of English language proficiency.

The ESL program is a non-degree, non-credit bearing program designed to help students with varying levels of English proficiency through coursework, interaction with native speakers of English, and individualized language practice. The program consists of six levels of English language study. Each level consists of 20 hours of class time per week, plus and additional 3 hours of small conversation group practice.

Students who wish to pursue this course of action must first submit a completed graduate admission application and have their application materials reviewed by an academic department. After careful review of the students’ academic qualifications and their ability to succeed academically, the student is granted conditional acceptance into the Graduate School and admission into the IELTS. Students must notify the Graduate School within 30 days of their acceptance whether they will pursue the ESL program option. Upon successful completion of these requirements, students may then enroll as a full-time student in their program of study.

For more information and to apply to the Intensive English Language Institute IELI, contact the Continuing Professional Studies Office at http://admissions.buffalostate.edu/esl. For specific questions regarding homeland security rules and regulations, student visas, and 1-20 information, contact the Office of International Student Affairs. (See information below).

Other International Student Enrollment Information

Contact the International Student Affairs Office for more information about services for international students: Campbell Student Union 400, http://internationalstudentaffairs.buffalostate.edu, or (716) 878-5331.

Student Visas: International students must show proof of financial support for the duration of studies on the Confidential Statement of Finances form. About $33,176.00 (USD) per year should be budgeted to cover expenses. By the time they arrive on campus, international students should have arranged for the funds to cover their college career. Payment of all college-related expenses must be made prior to the beginning of each semester.

Once an applicant has been officially accepted to a degree program, the Graduate School will mail an acceptance letter and the paperwork necessary to apply for an I-20 form. The applicant must return these forms directly to the International Student Affairs Office, which will send an I-20 form to the student to obtain an F-1 (student) visa from the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.

Mandatory Student Health Insurance: International students are required to purchase SUNY International Health Insurance or have comparable coverage. The cost for the 2016-2017 academic year is $1,302. If a student possesses comparable health insurance, he or she is still required to purchase the medical evacuation coverage and should contact the Weigel Health Center for the current rate (unless the student's plan includes medical evacuation and repatriation). Services at the Weigel Health Center are available to all registered students free of charge regardless of insurance coverage. Visit http://weigel.buffalostate.edu/ or call (716) 878-6711 for more information.

Housing: International students may live on or off campus. On campus, they may live in the international residence hall, which remains open during U.S. holidays, or in any other residence hall, provided they move out of the hall during the holidays. Visit the Residence Life Office at suny.buffalostate.edu/residencelife/ or call (716) 878-3000 for more information.

Up one level

Admission to a Graduate Program

Graduate Catalog 2016-2017

Graduate Degrees and Certificates

Dean's Message

SUNY Buffalo State

Admission to a Graduate Program

Academic Requirements

Academic Policies


Financial Aid

Services and Facilities

Graduate Programs at Buffalo State

Graduate Programs by School

Adult Education (M.S. and Graduate Certificate)

Applied Economics (M.A.)

Art Conservation (M.A. and C.A.S.)

Art Education (M.S.Ed.)

Art Education (PTCP)

Biology (M.A.)

Biology Education (7–12, M.S.Ed.)

Business and Marketing Education (M.S.Ed.)

Business and Marketing Education (PTCP)

Career and Technical Education (M.S.Ed.)

Career and Technical Education (PTCP)

Chemistry Education (7–12; M.S.Ed.)

Childhood and Early Childhood Curriculum and Instruction (M.S.Ed.)

Childhood and Early Childhood Education (Birth–Grade 6; M.S.Ed.)

Creative Studies (M.S.)

Creativity and Change Leadership (Graduate Certificate)

Criminal Justice (M.S.)

Earth Science Education (7-12), M.S.Ed.


Educational Technology (M.S.Ed.)

Educational Leadership (C.A.S.) - Building

Educational Leadership (C.A.S.) - Building & District

English (M.A.)

English Education (7–12; M.S.Ed.)

English Education (7–12; PTCP)

Foreign Language Education (1-6 Extension; 7-12) (M.S.Ed.)

Forensic Science (M.S.)

French Education (7–12; PTCP)

Great Lakes Ecosystem Science (M.A.)

Great Lakes Ecosystem Science (M.S.)

Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration (M.S.)

History (M.A.)

Human Resource Development (Graduate Certificate)

Industrial Technology (M.S.)

Literacy Specialist (Birth Through Grade 12; M.S.Ed.)

Mathematics Education (7–12; M.S.Ed.)

Mathematics Education (7–12; PTCP)

Mathematics Education (7–12; 5–6 Extension; PTCP)

Multidisciplinary Studies (M.A. and M.S.)

Museum Studies (M.A.)

Museum Studies (Graduate Certificate)

Music Education (M.M.)

Physics Education (7–12; M.S.Ed.)

Physics Education (7–12; M.S.Ed. with Alternative Certification)

Professional Applied and Computational Mathematics (M.S.)

Public Administration in Public and Nonprofit Management (M.P.A.)

Public Management (Graduate Certificate)

Public Relations M.S.

Science Education (M.S.Ed.)

Social Studies Education (7-12; M.S.Ed.)

Social Studies Education (7-12; PTCP)

Social Studies Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension; PTCP)

Spanish Education (7-12; PTCP)

Special Education

Speech-Language Pathology (M.S.Ed.)

Teaching Bilingual Exceptional Individuals

Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

Technology Education (M.S.Ed.)

Technology Education (PTCP)

Guide to Course Descriptions

Course Descriptions

ACM - Applied & Computational Mathematics

ADE - Adult Education

AED - Art Education

ATS - Art Therapy Studies

BIO - Biology

BME - Business and Marketing Education

BUS - Business

BXE - Bilingual Exceptional Education

CHE - Chemistry

CIS - Computer Information Systems

CNS - Art Conservation

COM - Communication

CRJ - Criminal Justice

CRS - Creative Studies

CTE - Career and Technical Education

DAN - Dance

DED - Distributive Education

DES - Design

ECO - Economics

ECS - Elementary Education

EDL - Educational Leadership

EDU - Elementary Education

EDT - Educational Technology

ENG - English

ENT - Engineering Technology

ESL - English as a Second Language

EXE - Exceptional Education

FAR - Fine Arts

FIN - Finance

FLE - Foreign Language Education

FOR - Forensic Science

FRE - French

GEG - Geography

GES - Geology

GLC - Great Lakes Center

HEA - Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration

HEW - Health and Wellness

HIS - History

HPR - Coaching and Physical Education

INT - Industrial Technology

MAT - Mathematics

MCL - Modern and Classical Languages

MED - Mathematics Education

MET - Mechanical Engineering Technology

MST - Museum Studies

MUS - Music

NFS - Dietetics and Nutrition

OEC - Occupational Education

PAD - Public Administration

PHI - Philosophy

PHY - Physics

PLN - Planning

PSC - Political Science

PSM - Professional Science and Mathematics

PSY - Psychology

SCI - Science

SLP - Speech Language Pathology

SOC - Sociology

SPA - Spanish

SPF - Social Psychological Foundations

SSE - Social Studies Education

SWK - Social Work

TEC - Technology

TED - Technology Education

THA - Theater Arts

UED - Urban Education


Graduate Faculty